Monday, December 3, 2012

Nautical Desk Sneak Peek: Transferring Images the Old Fashioned Way

My current project is finally for me!  This time, the desk is all mine.  I'll give you more details about that when it's completed.  For now, I want to give you a sneak peek at one of the nautical images that will be on the desk.  I do not own a fancy shmancy Silhouette Machine or a Cricut or any other time-saving, ridiculously over priced transfer tool.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own one, or win one from all the blogs doing giveaways.  But for now, I'll have to settle with the hands God gave me and a No.2 Pencil from Staples. 

Does anyone remember the "old-fashioned way" of transferring images?  Remember tracing paper?  Ok, so maybe I didn't go as far back to the days of tracing paper.  Here's a quick tutorial for those still waiting for Santa to bring the modern time-saving tools.

1.  Select the image you want to use.  Pick from a book, a clipart website, download and print from Google Images (which is where I got this nautical compass/star) or draw one yourself.


2.  Flip the image over and trace the reverse image on the back with a dark pencil (#2 or darker). 
The back of the paper after I've traced over it with pencil
 
3.  Flip the image back over and tape it to your project.  Then carefully retrace the image design.  The pencil underneath will be lightly transferred to your project. 
Tape and retrace on the original side
4.  Remove the paper and you'll see the pencil etchings.  Then choose your marker or paint to make the image darker.  I've used Sharpie markers in the past however this time I chose the DecoColor Paint Markers in Ultramarine Blue.  I love these because they glide on with the fullness of paint but with the steadiness of a pen. 

When finished, it looks like a hand-painted design!  After I finish the rest of the images, and seal the desk, I'll post the finished project.

1 comment:

  1. I am with you!! I can't afford the fancy things to transfer, and honestly have the best luck going old school anyways! Great job!

    ReplyDelete